Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Famous Grouse


The Famous Grouse
Blended Scotch whisky
40% alc/vol
$20

Ah, the Grouse. When I first tried this one, the only blended Scotches I'd had were the Johnnie Walker Black Label (meh) and the Pig's Nose (wheeeee!). The Famous Grouse was the turning point; the day I tried it, I realized that I do, in fact, love blended whisky. Some blended whiskies, anyway.

Not only is the Grouse delicious, but:
  1. it's delicious neat. (It's great with ice or mixed, too, of course, but neat?!)
  2. it's cheap. Around $20 for a 750 mL bottle, and $30 for a 1.75 L bottle.
These two factors make the Grouse one of the best bangs for your buck out there. I still can't believe such an inexpensive whisky can taste so damn good.

Notes:

This blend is the lovely burnished color so many Scotches seem to share. The sweetness in the nose hits me immediately. Soft and fruity, pears and honeydew. On this tasting, the alcohol is more apparent in the scent than usual. The texture is nice and creamy, coating the tongue beautifully. The finish is unremarkable, though it leaves me wanting more -- always a good quality!

The Famous Grouse has something about it that makes it undeniably drinkable. It's the kind of whisky you could just sit and drink all night long, and never get tired of it. It's earned a permanent spot on my drink cart, and I'm just so glad I ventured out of my comfort zone to try it!

I <3 the Grouse.

No comments: