Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Macallan 10yo Fine Oak (NOT Jim Beam)


The Macallan 10yo Fine Oak
Aged 10 years
Single Speyside malt Scotch whisky
40% alc/vol
$40

Happy new year, everyone!

So, on the Christmas list I gave my folks last month, I included "some interesting new whiskeys to try." I didn't really know if they'd go for it, but I figured, what the heck. I was also a little desperate for things to ask for. Lousy Christmas lists.

Anyway, December 25th finally rolled around, and my sister brought out a gift bag for me. I looked inside while she grinned evilly, and found a small bottle of Jim Beam bourbon. Now, my sister loves giving horribly disappointing gag gifts before bringing out the real stuff, so I wasn't worried; I figured there was more to come. And there was.

My dad and she picked out for me this lovely bottle of Macallan. I've tried a number of their scotches before, but never the 10 yo Fine Oak expression. Before even tasting it, I knew it was a great gift. I've never met a Macallan I didn't like, and it was new to me. So, thanks, Dad and Sis!

Notes:

A deep copper color. The nose explodes with orange, especially with a bit of water; a hint of molasses and gentle floral notes hide beneath the citrus, sweet and sour at the same time. A very soft, creamy texture -- really nice mouth feel.

Maybe not the most complex whiskey around, but a very satisfying one. A pleasure to imbibe! Nice job, family!

Also, while the Jim Beam was just a gag, I fully intend to taste and post about it sometime in the not-too-distant future. Because, well, why not? :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Have added a link to it on my blog www.malthead.blogspot.com

I get the feeling that we are on the same kind of level. I got a Fine Oak Macallan for Christmas too!

Regards

Unknown said...

Do I know either of you? I GAVE a Fine Oak Macallan for Christmas!

Will said...

Malthead: thanks, and congrats on your Fine Oak...I hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine!

Aubrey: you goofball. :)

Maddie said...

Thanks dad? Dad? Why are you thanking Dad?

Will said...

Just 'cause he helped, maybe a little? I know it was mostly you. THANKS SIS. ;)